Active Release Techniques (ART)®
Same fee if combined with any other treatment. *Exercises included*
Active Release is a soft tissue system/movement based massage technique that treats problems with muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia and nerves. These 500+ protocols, allow Dr. Case to identify and correct problems that are affecting each individual patient.
Headaches, back pain, carpal tunnel symptoms, shin splints, shoulder pain, sciatica, plantar fasciitis, knee problems, and tennis elbow are just a few of the many conditions that can be treated, improved or resolved by Dr. Case with ART.
BENEFITS of ART and COMPARISON of ART with other treatments can be found here.
How do overuse conditions occur that are treated with ART?
Over-used muscles (and other soft tissues) change in three important ways:
- Accumulation of small tears typically from overuse (micro-trauma)
- Postural strain causing tight muscles and other soft tissues to not get enough oxygen (hypoxia)
- Acute conditions (pulls, tears, collisions, etc.)
Each of these factors can cause your body to produce stinky or dense scar tissue in the affected area. This scar tissue binds up and ties down tissues that need to move freely. As scar tissue builds up, muscles become shorter and weaker, tension on tendons causes tendonitis, and nerves can become trapped. This can cause reduced range of motion, loss of strength, and pain. If a nerve is trapped you may also feel tingling, numbness, and weakness.
What is an ART treatment like?
Every ART session is a combination of examination and treatment. Dr. Aaron Case uses his hands to evaluate the texture, tightness and movement of muscles, fascia, tendons, ligaments and nerves. Abnormal tissues are treated by combining precisely directed tension with very specific patient movements.
Dr. Case is a fully certified Active Release Techniques (ART®) Provider in all of the following ART® disciplines:
- Lower Extremity (Hips to Toes)
- Upper Extremity (Shoulders to Fingers)
- Spine (Back, Neck and Torso)
- Ironman® Provider
- Masters ART® level
- Biomechanics ART® (Running)
- Nerve Entrapment: For tingling, numbness, weakness and Repetitive Strain Injuries (RSIs) such as Carpal Tunnel symptoms, Thoracic Outlet, Sciatica and other nerve entrapments/compressions
- Complex Protocols (more complicated muscle, soft tissue, joint injuries)